More than half a century ago, the Irvine Company established key principles that continue to guide the planning and build-out of The Irvine Ranch®.
- Maintain the land under a single owner.
- Establish a Master Plan for all 93,000 acres to guide land use and infrastructure decisions, ensuring that the whole would be greater than the sum of its parts.
- Create an internal planning group to guide the evolution and implementation of the Master Plan.
- Establish three major planning sectors on The Ranch to help break the master-planning work into manageable areas: Coastal Sector, Valley Sector and Mountain Sector.
- Continually reinvest in the land.
- Ensure that the three planning sectors adhere to topography and jurisdiction constraints.
- Continue the tradition of land stewardship, with an eye on the long-term view.
- Contribute to the quality of the cities on The Irvine Ranch.
- Make sound, realistic economic and political decisions.